2014 – Year in podcasting
PCN Relaunches as a Podcast news site (March)
iTunes surpasses 1 Billion (1,000,000,000) Podcast subscriptions (July)
Adam Carolla settles the Patent troll suit against him. (August)
NMX Announces move to April in Vegas along with NAB (August)
1st Podcast Movement (August) in Dallas
Podcast Awards sold to NMX (September)
Serial / Startup / Gimlet Media (September)
Stitcher bought by Deezer (October)
Dave Jackson named Head of Podcasting Track at NMX (October)
– In the US 15% of the population has consumed a podcast in the last month
– 67% of podcast listeners don’t mind ads compared to only 6% liking advertising in television or radio.
– The percentage of Americans who have ever watched or listened to a podcast is 45% this is around 70 million potential listeners in the US only.
– The podcast audience used to be “early adopters” and now are just “normal” people. Not Super Geeks
– Podcast listeners/viewers continue to prefer consuming content at their desktop, not on dedicated media players, but mobile phone media consumption is surging.
– Two-thirds of podcast consumers have listened to digital audio files in their vehicles by connecting a mobile device (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, iPad, tablet or ipod) to their car audio system.
– On September 28th, 2004 Doc Searls found 24 “hits” on the word “Podcasts” in Google. Today it’s About 130,000,000 (!)
2015 – Predictions for podcasting in 2015
Second Podcast movement – Less “Entrepreneur” focused
NMX/NAB – Best podcast event ever!
I will release “The NO BS Guide to Podcasting” in March and it will reach #1 on Amazon for Podcasting. (yes, bold and wishful thinking!)
I will Produce 50 episodes of Podcast Help Desk in 2015. (Leaving myself room to skip a couple but maybe even 52)
This will be the year of the Story-telling podcast copy-cat. Like 2014 was the year of the Entrepreneur podcast.
At least one popular Entrepreneur podcast will pod-fade (likely 100’s of copy-cats as well)
Soundcloud will be sold and their Podcasting “Beta” program will be turned off.
Google will announce that Feedburner is going away in 2016
Google will announce a Podcast listening app and directory for Android. (Crossing my fingers)
At least one “podcasting company” will shut down unexpectedly. (Not much of a stretch because it happens at least once every year)
In April, I will celebrate my 10 year anniversary in podcasting (Not sure of exact date)
Tim of WPMasterdesign.com asked about if he should have his podcast run from his main website or should he set it up on another website.
Microphone and Mixer give-away.
I’m giving away a http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/XM8500.aspx Behringer XM8500 dynamic Mic (brand new) and a slightly used Behringer UB502 Mixer (plus mic cable and computer hookup cable) http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB502.aspx to a lucky listener. (US/Canadian Listeners only) I will also throw in an Hour of Consulting (via Go-to-Meeting) to help you get started.
The ways to enter are simple.
1. Sign up for the newsletter mailing list (no spam) found on the sidebar of PodcastHelpDesk.com
2. Send in a voicemail comment either by dialing 231-421-4490 (either a question or comment for use on the show) or use the send voicemail tab on the site or email (either audio or text) to email@example.com with a question for the show.
3. Send me an email telling me about your show and a little about yourself
You will get 1 entry for each thing you do above (limit 3 entries per person)
I will use a randomizer site to pick the winner on January 19th 2015. Deadline to enter is January 15th 2015.
Use the promo code “nobs” for a free month of podcast hosting at any level at blubrry.com
The promo code also works for blubrry premium