There are many things about a podcast that a podcaster needs to know even if you don’t do everything for your show. A lot of indie podcasters do everything. Prep, Talent, Recording, Editing, Producing, Publishing, Booking guests and ALL of it. Some only do the parts of it. Sometimes it’s a whole team. BUT, YOU as the owner of your show, need to know some things no matter if you do them or not.
Here is my checklist of things I suggest you Know or Learn about your show so that you are able to take care of what needs to be taken care of if something goes wrong.
- RSS feed address. The WHOLE address.
- The Title of your show as it appears in the directories. This may seem silly, but sometimes people call a show by a shortened name or a ‘nickname’ of sorts. It’s always good to KNOW the title.
- The email address for the feed.
- Apple Podcasts listing URL (mainly the ID# at the end)
- Where is the website hosted. (and address)
- Where is the Podcast Media hosted.
- Logins to Website, Media Host, Web Host, Apple Podcasts and any other logins to manage listings on directories and apps,
- Media Encoding (This is a little geeky but it will help if you need to hire an editor)